About Brass Boot Camp
Brass Artists Sam Pilafian and J.D. Shaw
in Las Vegas!
Brass Boot Camp recently concluded June 29, 2012. Registration is closed.
June 25-29, 2012
8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
For the brass musician (ages 11-18 years, all skill levels), located at the UNLV Campus.
- Breathing Gym Skills
- Master Class
- Brass Music Appreciation
- Group Study
- Social Event & Final Recital
University of Nevada, Las Vegas Campus
School of Music
- Learning breathing techniques by master guest artists
- Learning how to create good sound
- Learning fundamentals such as attacks, articulation, slurring and control of sound
- Learning how to do daily reinforcement of skills with suggested practice routines
- Suggestions on preparation to enhance student’s instrumental performance
- Learning how to apply brass fundamentals to improve their own sound and create a better ensemble sound
- Students may be given the opportunity to explore and experiment with playing different brass instruments
Brass Repertoire Class
- Application of skills learned to an ensemble experience
- Student is engaged in ensemble music study
- Preparation and study for an ensemble performance at end of camp
- Student or Ensemble performance in front of student body with Master Guest Artists critiquing for the benefit of all to learn
- Master Classes will feature advanced players with prepared repertoire
- Students in audience will transpose class comments to their specific instrumental needs
- Students will be instructed on how to best prepare for auditions, and maximize practice time.
- Instruction by both Master Guest Artists on general topics
- Listening skills emphasized; student will hear and identify a representative sound on their given instrument
- Exposure to performances and music of the highest caliber
- Develop an appreciation of brass instruments as it relates to band and orchestral repertoire/performance
- Student will learn about historical aspects related to their instrument
- Learning aspects of brass study, the process, and tips on preparing for auditions
- A review of all basic concepts of music
- Students will develop an in-depth knowledge of the desired performance level to which one should aspire
Brass Boot Camp Partners
This project is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment of the Arts. "Art Works."